1/02/2004

I used to be an assistant football coach on the Pop Warner level when my son played. My experience was only on the Service Team/Junior College level so before embarking I read up on the modern techniques. Early this AM a couple of us re-ran tapes of the USC defense trying to figure out the "fancy" schemes they used. What was fancy was that their players manhandled the Michigan line. Butchered them. Meant that any blitzes could work because the Michigan line was trying to double team three to four guys, and not doing a real good job it. USC was that much better. Reminds me of something I read by a famous coach back when I was going to coach.

I once designed a play that seemed perfect. An off tackle blast with delayed blocking that worked like a million bucks in practice for two weeks. When I pulled it in a game my back got hit in the backfield, spun off and hit the now closing hole where a linebacker stood him up. He spun off the linebacker, dodged a safety, and picked up fifteen yards. It was then I realized that players make plays, not coaches or fancy designs.
Carr was not so much out coached as totally out recruited. USC's athletes were and are superior in almost every respect. USC receivers did not run bad routes, passers did not overthrow open receivers, tackles were sure. Better players won. They may have been taught better but there is no way of knowing that. USC took the cream of SoCal players, one from Florida (Williams), and one from Colorado (White). Tough fast kids. What most people don't know is that in almost every match up between Florida high schoolers and California high school players, the California kids win (Florida won this year but both teams lacked the best players who played elsewhere). Only six USC players will graduate. They will probably lose their #2 QB, a kid from Louisiana who has a big rep, but there is no way he will run off the current #1 who is a soph. BTW did anyone notice the way Washington State manhandled Texas in the Holiday Bowl? Their defense was all over them just like USC was all over Michigan. Total aggression. I think the PAC 10 was very tough at the top this year. Very tough. Next year Cal will join the club of top teams; great coach and some top talent.

No comments: