2/20/2004

CU football "scandal" is smearing a really good man. I refer to Gary Barnett, their coach. These rape charges are criminal in nature and the local District Attorney has prosecuted none. This almost always means that there are no real cases out there. The "woman" kicker was terrible; Barnett says so and is basically fired. Another woman steps up who was so drunk she can't remember anything, other than she thinks she was raped. I played football (not Division IA) and guys who just can't cut it are blown out, physically and verbally. It's a tough game. I cannot imagine fondling in a huddle. Jesus you're tired, sweating, bleeding and thinking; the coaches are yelling at everybody; the last thing all the guys are going to do is fondle. I'm listening to the players. Barnett had a long and successful stint at Northwestern, his reputation til now has been exemplary, and he is basically fired for saying a girl was a shit player. Barnett is guilty of the most Politically Incorrect statement one can make these days: saying a girl is anything other than great at everything. You do it and you land in trouble. I'm glad the players are rallying in support of a truly fine man. I know some guys who played at Northwestern who are getting together to help if wanted also.

All of you should wonder why a bunch of rapes were not prosecuted in a state where the "violence against women" laws are so tough they may be unconstitutional. DA's don't like a string of losses is the most likely answer. And the recruiting "trips", as I commented upon in a prior post, cannot be supervised every minute of every day by a coach. Hundreds of kids are coming in and a man cannot supervise everyone. Late add The post referred to was not published but remained in the file. Here it is: Come on! I'm old. 1955 I'm at several schools for football. Girls all over. Parties like crazy. I was thrilled. When I get back home a guy who was an All American back in 1931 asked me if there were girls and "hooch" at the school. When I told him yes, he responded "Nothing's changed". We're talking 1930s.

No comments: