3/09/2005

Note on a Zig Zag paper: New Bankruptcy law is both unnecessary and a subsidy for banks. I have two friends who are members of Debtors Anonymous, a Twelve Step group for compulsive debtors, and both have told me stories about people getting all the credit cards they want as soon as they file for bankruptcy. "Nobody should ever loan me a dime," said one. "I have stiffed more companies than fleas on a dog, and I can get a credit card any time I want to." He doesn't use cards at all, any more. Nor do I, it's a very simple system: I don't spend money I don't have. If lenders would screen their "sick client base" there would be no bankruptcy "problem" for them. They want to stop "rich" people from going BK? All they have to do is stop them from borrowing. Write your senator, this new BK bill will hurt the working class and below, and make it a cinch that banks will continue to issue credit to those who are not deserving of credit. An added note: I was behind a woman at the store a few weeks ago and she pulled out a wallet bulging with at least twenty cards. She had to file through about eight of them to find one that had enough left to charge her purchase. Should she have a card? I don't think so.