7/12/2005

An emailer who linked to the Horst Wessel Lied in my satire on Oliver Stone got turned on and found THIS absolute gem. It's an old but great Marlene Dietrich version of Lili Marlene. For those of you who are into that at all, a reminder of a legendary person and the song she was most famous for. And to a hell of a lot of you who mentioned PANZERLIED from the movie Battle of the Bulge, it is nowhere on the web for download, the only one I know of (and close to the movie version) try this one. The only way to get the movie version is to rent the movie and burn the track. There is no way to duplicate the emotion of the battle tested Rommel being told to lead a bunch of children between the ages of 12 and 15 to their deaths, and ending up being proud to do it. A great scene.

3 comments:

Howard said...

OK OK, Battle of the Bulge is historical fiction, nothing to do with what happened in almost any respect; movies are not where anyone goes to learn history. However it seems that a new generation, not knowing the details about the battle except from their grandparents, really likes the movie a lot (and I mean a hell of a lot). I saw it on TNT a while back and I liked it too, particularly Robert Shaw as Rommel. The scene where the teen age warriors launch into the stirring version of Panzerlied is clearly one of the great scenes in movies. I saw it at least thirty years ago and still remember that scene.

Unknown said...

I think Robert Shaw's character was not Rommel. It's a fictional character 'Martin Hessler' and he wasn't a general, he was a colonel.

Howard said...

You are correct. I thought I corrected this blog a long time ago. The scene is great. The movie sucks, but like I said I guess it depends on your generation.