8/22/2005

A word or three regarding Intelligent Design vs evolution. Doesn't it seem rather strange to you that the people on the "pretend Intelligent Design doesn't exist" side are the same people who have no problem accepting the Ten Dimensions of String Theory or the simultaneous splitting of two particles two million miles from each other as in quantum physics? Just asking. For a long time I accepted the explanation for the cause of rain as "the great dog in the sky lifts his leg....", I mean talk about an elegant theory, but then I was told by my science teacher that I'd also have to believe that a mirror image of that dog way out in space also lifted his leg....... Get my drift?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are also required to believe in an infinite number of "parallel universes". Yawn...



Bartelson

Anonymous said...

You obviously miss the entire distinction between science and non-science.

Science is interested with providing models for how the universe functions; models that ideally can be tested and refuted. It may be a practical difficulty testing some of the current way-out cosmological models, but this should only be a temporary limitation. The intent is always to describe things in a way that can stand up to further scrutiny.

But the aim of non-science is to provide explanations for how the world functions that categorically reject further scrutiny; "How did this happen? The intelligent designer made it so. OK, so how did the intelligent designer come about? Bzzzt. not allowed to ask that question!"

I'll choose the hard-to-understand 10-diminsional million parallel universes over a categorically unknowable designer any day. If I choose not to invest the time in understanding the theory I can only blame myself.

Howard said...

Here's on old proof I learned in first year algebra. You can prove mathematically beyond a shadow of a doubt that a bumble bee cannot fly. You have to observe it in order to prove that it can. All I'm saying is that people who are bright are more than willing to accept concepts that cannot be proven---the simultaneous mirror activity of particles millions of miles apart that can only be proven by a person stationed half way between them----er except that they are too small to see---are not only unwilling to see the quantum probability of God or Intelligent Design, but unwilling to consider it.

As for knowing the identity of the Designer? That's your choice, which is exactly my point.