9/23/2005

Google and copyright.....as those of you who read me know, I am a staunch defender of, and advocate for, copyright. So Google wants to scan all the books in a library and make them available to everyone. So what? What is so fucking sacred about a building with books in it? Because what? These superior than everyone else authors don't want their materials available to the great unwashed unless we trudge over to a library and get a book for free. And suppose the book is out, or even if I have to wait til another person ahead of me gets it and reads it, then what? Reserve it so I can read it in a month when the library informs me they have it. And then trudge over to The Building and check it out for "free." These holy sages don't want to make it easier for me, for old folks, for the infirm, and the fucking lazy to just click on Google and download the book and read it for free. They see a difference. What that difference is, I cannot for the life of me see.

I can see something wrong with scanning a library and getting a new book without paying for it, but a book that has been out for a couple of years? Fuck them. Welcome to the 21st century.

No comments: