9/04/2005

Just a few of a hundred very good observations posted by people who know their shit:

"There are good reasons why there are NO large scale evacuation plans for any metropolitan are in this country. You simply CANNOT plan that sort of thing. Really, Really bright people have tried, and they keep realizing it DOES NOT WORK."

(Re; evacs by bus) "Drivers cannot go 24 hours straight without substantially degrading passenger safety. Granted, there are times when you have to push a limit. And they already pushed it and then some. But I'll tell you this: If I had a driver on the road 16 hours straight without a break and he had an accident, and someone was killed, I'd probably get relieved of command, along with my first sergeant, and the support platoon leader and support platoon sergeant."

"Thousands of Louisiana residents vow to die before accepting charity from Texas..."

(Referring to the Hurricane Charley warnings in 2004) "Even before the storm hit, the president declared four counties disaster areas to speed federal money to victims. But that quick response fueled suspicion that he is using disaster politics to help his campaign in one of the most critical battleground states, a notion the president dismissed Sunday."
There is a ton more stuff over at Iraq the Model, all of it thought provoking. You may modify your views somewhat after you've read the entire page. In my case I reduced the number of people I want shot and increased the number I want impaled on sticks wrapped with barbed wire. But then I've always been a softy.