10/26/2005


CONFESSIONS OF A PINKO IN HIDING

While I classify myself as a conservative, I realize after reading Patterico yesterday that I'm probably a commie, because I hope "conservatives" like him never take over anything. In his piece he supports the death penalty for both the retarded and the young. Under a section titled; "Which five precedents does the commentator think are in most pressing need of reversal?" he lists Miranda, Roper v. Simmons (banning execution of juveniles) and Atkins v. Virginia (banning execution of the retarded). As for Miranda, anyone who has ever been arrested for doing nothing at all, as I have, can thank their asses for Miranda, the only thing keeping asshole cops from framing people. And though I agree that McConnell, the Campaign Finance law be reversed, and a few other things, I'm a square peg that just don't fit into that right wing round hole.

I commented on his polite and literate reply thusly, which may or may not prove me a total fucking Lefty:

My reply to Patterico: 1. One night while driving home after a night shift I was pulled over by what turned out to be vice officers pissed off that they arrested a person who was not involved in the drug bust they were about to pull off. They bent me over the hood, took my clothes, handcuffed me and took me into the station. Then after booking I was taken upstairs and grilled. There were two cops, one big and one little. The big cop left and the little one called me names, told me I was a fag (I was an upcoming actor at the time, a fact he cleverly deduced by searching my wallet and finding my SAG card), told me I was going to the Glass House (the local name for the jail downtown). Then he took my wife's engraved watch that I had pinned to the inside of my jacket, pinned there because I was driving a cab and you hid your watch or risked death, and read her name: "Clairice, this the lady you stole it from?" When I told him it belonged to my wife, he proceeded to describe my slut whore wife sitting at home and fucking a "chink, a dirty yellow chink cock is in your wife's mouth right now," said he. Well I was pissed, but luckily I turned toward the door and I saw pressed agains the opaque glass part of the door about six feet six inches from the floor, an ear. The ear belonged to the big cop who was just waiting for me to do something so he could kick my ass. To make a long story short, they prevented my wife from bailing me out by placing me in a paddy wagon for two hours and taking me from jail to jail before taking me to the main jail. I won't continue this sagging saga except to say that they filed 34 charges of resisting arrest against me, all of which vanished into thin air when I went to court to fight the charges two weeks later because they didn't "Mirandize" me.

As far as "making law" when they (the Supremes) ruled against killing retards and kids? If that is making law, then I am for making law if that is what it is. In Roper the state court set a 17 year old up by waiting til he was 18 so they could try him as an adult. Supremes ruled that the Constitution prohibits the execution of a juvenile who was under 18 when he committed his crime. This was backed up by another opinion that a national consensus had developed against the execution of those offenders. BTW a national consensus may have developed over Roe too??

In Atkins they clearly did NOT legislate but ruled that the 8th Amendment forbidding cruel and unusual punishment applies to a person who is so retarded he cannot differentiate right and wrong, moral or immoral, and that the national consensus was that killing a retard was wrong. The retard got a life sentence without possibility of parole.

I absolutely agree with those opinions, and like I said, I'm not that conservative. What are we supposed to do, let 20 retards be executed before a legislature somewhere passes a law?
Of course if the Schultz linked Sarah Michelle Gellar told me "First, we have to kill all the retards," I would change my mind in a nano moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I disagree with you about the execution of the mentally retarted.

I think the standard for imposing the death penalty should be based on the threat or danger posed by the individual, not by level of self awareness.

We don't put vicious dogs into a cage for life, we put them to sleep.

And what is so humane about putting a person who "cannot differentiate right and wrong" into a cage for the rest of his/her life? Since they are not intelligent enough to understand right or wrong, they won't be able to understand why they are locked up, either.