2/19/2006

Consumer Alerts
The Good: I bought a digital camera on the web from a company called I Buy Plasma. The experience could not possibly have been better. The prices are the lowest, or within a buck or two of the lowest, they shipped instantly and I got my purchase within days. Two weeks after I received it I discovered that a strap for the camera case was not included. I called their customer service, I was treated great, and they sent me a new case with a strap for free and it arrived within days. The price for a Sure Shot A 520 was between $45 and $50 lower than either of the local discount retail outlets in town (Best Buy and Fry's). A really great company.

The not so Good: I purchased a vacuum food sealer for foods from a place called Jardin Direct, a company that tells you a ton about themselves and is rated highly by consumers, or so it says. Experience is not so good. They deducted from my cc before they shipped, which is illegal. I called to complain and was treated to a disingenuous response to say the least. At first I was told it was shipped, then that it was in process, and then told that I was never told that it was shipped. I called the next day and was told it had been shipped, when I asked for a tracking number I was told it was sent by the USPS and so there was no tracking number, meaning it must have been sent parcel post instead of Priority Mail, a shipping and handling fee of $5.95 more had been charged. Also, though this is not their fault, California demands that tax be added to purchase. They were the only company carrying the item charging less than $50, the nearest price being $99 on the web and over $100 local discount retail. I'd urge caution before buying because their customer service is certainly not what I'd call real good.

The insane: Let me start by saying, in the words of Cramer on Mad Money: sellsellsellsellsell AT&T stock. I received a very expensive forty page full color brochure by mail from AT&T. They offer every kind of cable TV service, internet connection service, phones and so on for very cheap rates. It looks great. BUT within the very expensive to produce near book size sales piece there is a two page insert with the smallest possible print, so small that I had to use both eye glasses and a magnifying glass to read it. Holy shit. First, the TV offer is only good for single family residences from which I infer, no "stacked" apartment like condos or apartments. This means they have pissed away God Only Knows How Much Money mailing to apartments and condos (I live in an apartment building). Second, within the four page statement their almost microscopic type size there is something that states that the dish TV service requires that I install my exterior "dish" myself or there could be huge installation charge, HOWEVER when you go online the explanation is that AT&T will install, IF. There is no mention of the exterior dish in the gorgeous part of the mailing, nor is the caution that I must have an unobstructed view of the Southern Sky, something I found out from people at work, not in the microscopic insert. Third, I also have to sign a contract, the low low rates are only good for six months, and the great offer is only good if you order over the internet; in other words nobody wants to answer any questions you might have or it's gunna cost ya. When I totaled the "offer" without calling for an installer the price is only $10 cheaper than my cable and high speed internet for the first six months and more expensive later. A hell of a lot more if I have somebody come out and install the dish and a "PROBLEM" develops. AT&T has wasted at least a half a million dollars sending this very expensive mail piece to every "stacked" condo and apartment building in Southern California, places that don't qualify for the offer. The price obfuscation regarding installation of the dish will not be recognized by enough people until it is too late and AT&T will be sued. If you get the offer be sure you read it carefully. And sellsellsellsellsell their stock.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howard how do you account for such stupidity? What were they expecting/hopping to accomplish by ultimately pissing people off?

Anonymous said...

The outer book is from the sales department. The fine-print insert is from the lawyers. (Guess which you'll be dealing with if you ever have any problems.) Olde-style telco lawyers base their conduct on (1) you HAVE to do business with THEM or go without, (2) everybody's out to screw the telco, so the telco should pre-emptively screw its customers first. Hence more copy in the restrictions, disclaimers, and limitations than in the original offer itself. Sign of a dying business.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I was just messing around and found your page!
Very nice.
If you are interested, go see my used digital camera related blog.
It isnt anything fancy but you might still find something of interest.