11/02/2006

A CAUTIONARY TALE

Can't blog because of computer problems----- I have an HP and the service has been more than I could hope for. I wanted to increase my RAM and did the right thing by going to HP, entering my model number, and they told me a certain memory was installed when I bought it and all I had to do was buy the same thing. Just to make sure I cruised on line to a RAM place and they confirmed the HP deal. I buy the RAM and get it home and install it. Catastrophe.... the screen turned light blue and a sign appeared informing me that my D drive was fucked up---too weird because my D drive is a partition of the C drive. I tried to boot again, and again the same deal. I reopened the computer and checked the installation and found it was fine. But when I tried to boot, it wouldn't. If I ran using only the original RAM all was OK. So I called the store where I bought it and the guy told me that from what I told him the RAM I bought was not compatible. So I loaded my computer into my car and took it back to the store. The guy opened the machine and found that HP didn't know what was in their own machine. I already had more powerful memory and to match it I had to spend $25 more. I did, I paid him to install, and now it's fine BUT instead of spending $54 I ended up paying a total of $100. Just a tip, you might want to take your computer shopping with you because what happened to me could happen to you.

No comments: