11/15/2006

Movies
Borat: is an excrementally funny movie, if you like movies where human and animal excrement (turds) appear in every conceivable place including dinner plates and jokes about same surface like popping corn on a hot skillet. I can see how people get offended by this movie. For the life of me I cannot understand the accusation that it is anti-American. The broad appeal of the movie that was turned down by many distribs and is a real surprise to the current one (Fox) is another example of generational taste differences. Had people close to thirty (preferably under) evaluated this movie they would have been all over it. I cannot think of another recent movie (last six months) that has such an obvious appeal to teen aged boys and college age young men and women. There is nothing funnier than a really good shit joke to the high school male mind (which I happen to possess); and apparently to the adult minds of people in their second childhoods. I say this because where I viewed it the audience composition was at least 20% over sixty and none of them walked. What is a major surprise to me is the cross pollination of the appeal to audiences of all races and ages. Who knew?

So what did I think?

Perhaps it’s because I wrote comedy for stand up comics for about five years and basically know every joke on the planet or perhaps I’m getting old, but I thought it was an hour and a half of the same toilet and race joke. After the first thirty minutes I was as bored as bored could be, and thought it tedious. Will you like it? You pays your money and you takes your chance. I would be cautious recommending it to everyone, and because of the really raunchy Jewish references and “jokes” I’d certainly warn any Jewish friends I might have. There is certainly reason to think the movie is anti-Semitic to an extreme, and I doubt that a non-Jewish person would ever be allowed to make a movie loaded up with this kind of “humor.” (Borat's real name is Sacha Baron Cohen of Da Ali G Show)

So take a shot with a loose eight bucks you might have. Worse case is that you’ll waste an hour and a half, but the same can be said for voting or hunting for stray pussy at ten o'clock in the morning.

No comments: