5/06/2003

LAST PERSON TO URINATE IN BILL BENNETT'S FACE PLEASE TURN OUT THE LIGHTS
OK, I have experience with addiction in my household and I have personally been in so many Twelve Step Programs I have my own choreographer on retainer. I have heard every addiction story ever told, twice. Here's the deal with an "addict". Nobody says they have an eating disorder who is eight pounds overweight. Nobody strolls into AA who can't stop drinking a couple of beers a month. In other words, before an addict is confirmed as an addict he has to be doing damage; real damage to family, personal life, or even engaged in criminal activity to support the "habit". When the addiction no longer "works" for him he has the urge to stop and only then.

I am not going to cry to you that I am a gambling addict if I'm blowing $2 a week on the lottery every week for five years. I'm not hurting anybody. Bill Bennett was only losing a lot of money to you and me. That's because we ain't got the scratch to blow $200K per week. He does. He's pissing away $2 per week in his version of money.

Addicts don't stop til they "hit bottom" and bottoms vary between individuals. Every person who has ever dealt with compulsive behavior will tell you that a heroin addict will switch to something else if the underlying problem isn't addressed. Ask any AA member. This is a fact of life, or at least a fact of that kind of life.

Bill Bennett is no addict. He only has a gambling "problem" as we perceive it. If he really is an addict he will "act out" in another area. This has been lots of fun for people who want to "get him" and they have succeeded. They were out to destroy a reputation. They won. Bill has been "got".

My POV.

No comments: