12/23/2004

No movie since "The Deerhunter" has affected me as deeply as "Million Dollar Baby." I only mention it again because I can't get it out of my system. A really affecting movie. And Hillary Swank gives the best performance I can remember; she plays a tough boxer who is as vulnerable as tissue paper, and gentle as the breeze from humming bird's wings. I keep thinking about it and finding more to the story each time, a feeling shared by most people I've spoken with who have seen it. Give yourself a present and see it. See it before you take your young daughters who might want to be actresses too, because with all its sensitivity and tenderness, this is a story set in the boxing arena. Not a wasted frame of film. See it.

Simon link to this FOX report on the paucity of the box office for all the nominated movies. The guy makes a point: who wants to ruin their Christmas Holiday by seeing bummer movies? Especially the morally reprehensible wife spouse swapping, the glorification of a child molester, the great but very sad Million Dollar Baby, the horrid difficulties that a convicted child molester has adjusting to life outside of prison (that's a Hollywood "feel good" story), and all the rest are bombing. Could it be that too many people are bummed out by the Hollywood Left propaganda campaign that Chevy Chase reminded us about again last week? The anti-Christmas campaign is pissing off everybody I know and that could have something to do with it too; the campaign is by liberals--Hollywood is liberal--so it's Hollywood's fault; is that what's going on? Anyway, nobody is going to the movies right now, but after the 24th things may change.

And Kim duToit says this Christmas like it is. I have similar feelings and evidence, but Kim is right on target regarding this Christmas. Many people I speak with are fed up too. He's an athiest, I'm very agnostic and we are both pissed off as can be.

No comments: