11/21/2005

Of Nanotech and consumer fraud: it's always true of something new and esoteric; people are going to tell you that they have the "latest" application. When biotech was the rage every dope that came along had invented the "cure" for something or was "on the verge" of discovering something "if only" he could raise ten or so million dollars. And so it is with nano tech. There is a site that can explain almost anything in simple language that a seventh grader can understand: It's called How Stuff Works and it's not just for kids because we are all kids when something brand new comes along. I bring this up because I was faced with a terrific sounding product yesterday and the person explaining it told me it was the "latest in nanotechnology." Why I knew nanotech was extreme miniturization I didn't really know the whats and whys, so I looked it up at HowStuff. If you're a little hazy on the topic it's a great place to go and a great place to clear away the bullshit. In my case I now know absolutely that the product I was supposed to look at was NOT nanotechnology, my brain however may be. I'll get back to you on that.

No comments: