12/22/2005

BELOW YOU WILL SEE MY LAST BLOG POSTING: I have a job that requires a lot of time and brain power, one that leaves me too tired to research and write properly. To those forty thousand or so who visit each week I thank you for liking me enough to drop by. For those of you who blog and seek to build traffic, let me offer this: I never did any of the kiss ass things everyone else has done nor any of the stuff that other "pros" suggest be done in order to build traffic; I did not link to other sites for a quid-pro-quo; I did not do mass emails; I didn't do the back links or anything else. The traffic came on its own, but much is from Google links because I somehow got on their list. I have never run an ad and have never made a dime from this blog effort, nor did I ever have the intention of doing so. The "blogosphere" has changed since I started, in many ways for the better. There are many professionals from many fields who now write opinions that cannot be found in any other medium, and this is good. I only point to auto extremist and the Boeing blog as two outstanding examples out of many.

BUT there are many more who are now in it for the money they think they can make from advertising, much of it through links to sites that pay them off. Many more are using it for publicity in order to make money in their "real businesses." Others agree to secretly shill for political parties or candidates. Money corrupts. Just consider what might happen if you dared to say "motherfucker" or any one of a hundred "dirty words" when ad money is coming in. What else cannot be said? The term Political Correctness isn't always the Left imposing their restrictions on everyone else, it can be any advertiser(s) pulling money out from under you because what is said "offends." The entire idea of blogging was total freedom and if it now drifts into the MSM concept of ad supported writing it's all over. A tried and true method of building traffic is to plant phony comments in one's own comment section (Kos and Democratic Underground anybody?) in order to create blogger rage, one which mentions the blogger's name (naturally) as they quote from the horrible comments. I didn't do that stuff either.

I have enjoyed my three years of shooting off my mouth without fear of retribution other than to receive some of the nastiest emails imaginable. I have also found that too many bloggers actually save comments made on their sites for use against the writer at a later date. Many actually go sites other than their own just to read comments from other bloggers which they save for use against him at a later time; there are about ten more or less high traffic sites who let me know they'd punish me for my comments on other sites by refusing to link to me.

I never gave a fat fuck and I don't now. And BTW my traffic is greater than most of theirs.

Merry Christmas and it's been a fun ride.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't quit, Howard!

We love you!

david.davenport.1@netzero.com

Anonymous said...

You'll be missed Howard. I've been a daily visitor for about six months. Thanx and good luck.

LRK

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the ride.

Anonymous said...

One of the best blogs around.
I read every day.
Good luck

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear it, Howard. I've been a daily visitor (first morning stop) for the last two years. I'll miss your blog.

Merry Christmas to you, too.

Anonymous said...

I'll miss you, Howard. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

You quiting again Howard? You'll be back.

Bartelson

Anonymous said...

JJ here,

So disappointed, as this is also my first morning stop. Have always appreciated the clever writing and honest opinion.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, and many thanks for your time and effort to give all of your faithful readers a great read.

Anonymous said...

Howard,
It's clear you put a lot of thought into what you write and I'm sure it does take time. You have an audience that appreciates your efforts. Your observations are interesting and often funny as well. There's nobody else quite like you on the internet and you would be sorely missed if you gave up this blog. 40,000 visitors a week is nothing to sneeze at. Be a good Santa and stick around. Merry Christmas, Howard!,

Marc said...

I hope you reconsider - you're one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

Bite me, shitbrain.

Hurry back when yer batteries are recharged.

-- Kim du Toit

Anonymous said...

Darn, I come here cause I can tell your real, and one of the few who actually know what the fuck they are talking about. Your right about all the phonies and posers on the web. It's the CB of literature. Oh well, have a good one, miss ya.

xiaoding

Anonymous said...

Howard, I know how it can get with demands of work etc., and that of course comes first, but you'll be missed. If we all kick in a tenner, will you stay and keep us informed and entertained?:-)

Anonymous said...

Howard, I'll miss my daily dose of your punchy, direct style. Thanks for the entertainment and enlightenment for the last year or so, and all the best to you. And I'd love to see you back after you're refreshed.

dick

Anonymous said...

Howard, ya got me hooked, I read you every day and now your taking a powder. I have noticed that whenever I find an original mind, a real personality , the blog builds to a beautiful bright light, then a fade to darkness. Steven Den Beste, Kim Du Toit, now you among others. thanks for entertaining me, enlightening me and at times pissing me off. I hoped you have enjoyed the blog as much as your readers have. make a ton of money and don't be a stranger.

P.S. Kim, whatever problem you and the wife had that forced you to give up the blog, I hope you were able to successfully overcome. I always enjoyed a goblin story with a happy ending.

Anonymous said...

Howard, you are a crazy nut- I disagree with 99% of your politics (but I agree with about 75% of your movie criticism) ... and even when I'm shouting obscenties at you through my computer and waking up the kids, I'm still laughing out loud at your amusing take on things. So... I'll miss the blog, but perhaps I'll bump into you at the beach. Take care!

Anonymous said...

I have been a regular visitor. I will miss your blog. Merry Christmas & best wishes. I will be counting on hearing about it from KdT if you come back.
Morenuancedthanyou

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great blog for the past three years Howard.

Anonymous said...

Howard, always enjoyed your rants. Hurry up and get rich so you can dedicate all your efforts towards blogging.

Anonymous said...

We'll miss you, Howard. Nobody else's pussy ever hurt quite the way yours did.

Howard said...

Appreciate all the kind words, but money is not the problem right now, time is the problem. Thanx everybody.

Anonymous said...

Well Merry F*in Christmas!

Seriously, it's been great and I'll second the others: Go make a lot of money so you can retire early and resume blogging. You're a true original and I'll miss your voice (not to mention your takes on the markets and the movie business).

-----

Cubanbob, Mr.D is back online and can be found here.

Anonymous said...

Howie, you are a blog whore and you'll never quit, thank goodness.

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those who drop by every few days every week and I like you better than almost anyone else, mainly because you tell the truth all the time AND ADMIT WHEN YOU ARE WRONG. Nobody does that but you, and you owe me a fortune for that stupid Google going to $40 stock tip. By the way how did you know the weather was going to warm up? I didn't read that ANYWHERE else