9/26/2003

I saw a High School football team with an offensive line averaging 300 pounds per man as a part of my "Special Person Day" experience. I don't know what is happening in the rest of the country but the kids here in SoCal are huge. I have no idea if steroids are involved but the unbeaten Westlake California high school has one big line. A year ago Long Beach Poly had a similar line on defense, and all four play for U.S.C. now. When these huge guys hit a 175 pound running back you wonder about health and safety although nobody got hurt. When I played the chop block was legal and the only way I could handle guys like that was to hit them at the knees. Now they are safe to hit everybody knowing they can't be attacked. Personally, I say us small guys should be allowed to hit low. We are a victim group. These 300 pounders wouldn't last a day if little guys like me could block low.

No comments: